If one of your fleet vehicles breaks down on the motorway it can be extremely dangerous. So here our fleet insurance experts have come up with these top tips for keeping you and your staff safe.
- Pull away from the traffic If your vehicle breaks down on the motorway, turn on your hazard lights and turn your steering wheel to the left so that the wheels face away from the traffic.
- Turn your hazard lights on Before you leave the vehicle, please make sure that you put your side lights and hazard warning lights on to make the vehicle as noticeable as possible. In the case of snow or foggy weather, please also make sure that you turn on the rear fog lights.
- Move yourself and passengers away from the traffic Don’t stay in the car while you wait for help, please keep as far away from the traffic as possible and if there is a safety barrier nearby move behind it.
- If you can`t get out of the car Please move as many people as you can to the passenger side of the vehicle and put the seatbelts on.
- Keep an eye on children and pets Keep a close eye on children and leave any pets in the car for your own and other driver’s safety.
- Call for help It’s worth saving your breakdown service’s number in your phone so it’s there when you need it. Some breakdown services even have an app to help you contact them. If you don’t have a mobile, motorways have emergency phones every mile. To find the closest phone, follow the arrows on the blue and white markers. From there you can call your breakdown service and the police if necessary.
- Be careful when you get going again Even when everything’s fixed, it’s important to be safe when you’re joining the traffic again. Use the hard shoulder to get your speed up and wait for a safe space before merging. Keep an eye out for any other cars that might be on the hard shoulder as well.
Looking for fleet breakdown cover? Taking out fleet breakdown cover would also be a good idea for anyone that wants to protect themselves in case of a breakdown. Insure Fleet can help you get sorted as quickly and our prices start from as little as £59 per vehicle!* Please call Insure Fleet on – 03333 202 3173 or click here to get a quote.
*Policy restrictions, terms and conditions apply.« Back to all news