Since your job duties include driving on company time, it is very important that you know and follow safe driving techniques in all circumstances. Employee safety is our top priority, even when you are on the road. City driving is one of the hazards you must be equipped to handle.
Driving in a big city can sometimes be overwhelming, stressful and chaotic. The volume of vehicles, obscure streets and noise create many different conditions than typical motorway driving.
However, if you remain calm, maintain a lawful speed and stay alert, you will safely navigate through major city streets.
There are some easy tips to follow while driving through the city that will make your experience a little bit less stressful:
- Check your rearview mirror every 10 to 20 seconds, especially when making a turn or changing lanes.
- Merge slowly and smoothly into the traffic stream when changing lanes. Check your side mirrors and your blind spot before moving.
- Keep your wheels straight before making turns until you have checked your mirrors to make sure no one will run into you from the rear.
- Never run a red light for any reason! When approaching an amber light, try to stop if you safely can. However, also avoid sudden braking, which can cause a crash if vehicles behind you do not expect you to stop.
- When approaching an intersection in which the light just turned green, do not assume that cross-street traffic will stop. Hover your foot over your brake pedal and slow down to ensure that you can safely enter the junction.
- Exercise caution when the streets are wet due to snow or rain. The oil and fuel floats on the top of the water, which makes the road extremely slippery. To avoid slipping, accelerate and brake slowly, and increase the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- Allow vehicles next to you to merge into your lane if they have indicated that intention.
- If you notice an erratic driver, be very cautious and try to steer clear of his or her path.
For Your Protection
You should always drive safely, but when you are driving on behalf of a business or their vehicles, you need to be extra cautious. Not only is your safety important, but you may also be driving a company vehicle, driving with co-workers or transporting company goods.
For everyone’s safety and protection, always follow driving laws and ’s safety rules while on the road.
We understand that accident happen but when they do, make sure you’re fully protected with the right cover in place. If you have a fleet of vehicles, get in touch with us for a free insurance review of your current insurance policy. We’re confident that we can save you money without compromising on cover. Call our team of specialists on 0333 202 3173 or fill in our quote form and we’ll get in touch with you as soon as possible.« Back to all news